I didn’t know this was a thing but when you your child turns 1, they are no longer a baby and the tides will turn. Suddenly, just like the day you were married, your friends and family will take a new interest in your sex life and what might result from that…besides an orgasm. It goes something like this:
- You will run into a family member or friend or hell, they may corner you at the 1st birthday party itself!
- The person will exclaim how quick your child’s first year of life has gone.
- You will nod your head in agreement.
- They will then give you that look. You know that look.
- Out falls the question, “So, when are you having another one?” or “Isn’t it about time for another one?” or for more options “Are you guys trying for that next one about now?”
- I eye roll.
- Fight the urge to say that we had sex on the kitchen counter last night but we were just trying to hurry before my sister came home.
- My only answer is NO. Firmly.
- The person will pout.
- Then there is this weird, almost attitude that pops out from some, “A lot harder than what you thought, huh?”
- I bite my tongue so a “fuck you” doesn’t roll off of it and change the subject.
I didn’t know this is where people would really start in on us again. Every single time the question makes me sick to my stomach. I don’t want to think about starting from square one. I don’t want to think about the possibilities and have the 9 months of waiting for something bad to happen. I’m just not mentally there yet. I may never be. I have no idea.
Secondly, this child that I have, doesn’t sleep through the night yet. We are patiently working our way towards table food. You guys, we are still in a baby stage if you ask me. There is still a crib she resides in, an infant carrier she still uses and a 1am bottle we are still fighting. I have zero desire to add to that anytime soon. We are at a 2-1 ratio so at least 80% of the time the hubby and I are the bosses.
Thirdly, I’m just enjoying where we are at. I’m enjoying the stage we are at without having fears in the back of my head to create another one and safely bring it to this world. I just don’t feel like I want to take anything away from where Cora and I are at right now.
I do have to say, I have people politely ask if the older Cora gets does it make us think about trying for another child soon or at all? Is it the wording? Maybe. Is it their tone? Probably. I get the curiosity from people. I really do. But this is our lives and I’m really happy with where we are at. I don’t know how I will feel about it down the road or when/if I will want another. Right now, we are happy and that should be all that matters.