Lately I have been purchasing a lot of gifts for that second, third and even fourth baby in a family. I can certainly say that my baby gift giving has changed since having Cora. I will never buy another baby “outfit” because mamma isn’t going to wrangle baby into a four piece, uncomfortable outfit, to only have baby vomit all over it. Sleepers all day, every day.
Hands down, I will always buy off the registry for the first baby. But what about the siblings that follow?
- Number one thing I have heard is a small gift for the older sibling(s) so they aren’t left out. Anything that makes note of them being a big sibling is even better-shirt, book, tote bag, activity book, hat or even jewelry.
- Diapers and wipes. Advice though-never buy them newborn diapers.
- Baby Tylenol, Motrin, Orajel, gas drops, diaper rash cream, etc. All the over the counter things you don’t think about until it is the middle of the night and someone has a fever. Along these same lines- bath lotion, wash, shampoo, etc.
- Bath toys. Bath toys get moldy and gross. Chances are a new round of bath toys would be appreciated.
- New infant wash cloths and bath towels. These all get stained, ripped, and just plain tired looking. A nice, new, fluffy set would make baby happy.
- Other items that get a bit worn down and could be replaced are bibs and burp rags.
- Something personalized for new baby. That way they have something specifically theirs that isn’t a hand me down.
- If mamma is breast feeding then perhaps she needs new parts for her pump, a new nursing tank, shirt or bra.
- New pacifiers, bottles, bottle nipples, or bottle brushes. These things get used and some of it is stuff that you wouldn’t want to reuse.
- A double stroller!
- Is there a big item that their first kid destroyed?
- If it has been several years since their last baby then maybe there is a hot item on the market that you know would make their life easier.
- Gift cards. Target, Babies R Us, Amazon, etc. Then they can just go get what they actually need. May not seem as personal but it is the most practical.
- Clothing. This is one you have to be careful with. If it is a different gender, great, buy! If it is born opposite season, same gender, ask mamma if there are specific clothing items she needs. Same gender, same season, you are best to spend your money on something else.
- Something special for Mom. Spa day gift card, a meal that you can drop off, cleaning services, offer to babysit (and actually do it!) or WINE!
A few items I have heard some mom’s actually cringe over.
- Blankets. I have to agree with this one. We were given SO many for Cora.
- Toys. Most parents are drowning in these anyways and don’t want anymore.
- Books. Especially board books. Again, drowning in them.
- Stuffed animals. These things multiply at night when we aren’t looking.
- Clothing. Like I said, this goes both ways.
Personally I believe every new baby deserves a gift and something new of their own!
What are your ideas for second, third, fourth baby gifts? What are the things you would never buy?